I’ll talk more about how new I am in the field of technical communication and rhetoric in my bio; here, I’d like to share my areas of interest and previous work I’ve done.
Areas of Interest
Just in the first week of school, my interests have grown – deeper and wider. At this moment, I’m not sure if this is a good or bad thing because my brain is in constant motion. The following are areas I’m currently interested in:
- Race, which I wrote about in a recent blog post
- Social Media
- Writing Instruction – particularly freshman composition and remedial/developmental writing and how online environments (to include social media) can assist in helping students become better writers
- Rhet. Comp.
- Rhetoric of Blogging
- New Media
- Narrative Structures
- Pop Culture
I can’t begin to state where I found the following ideas because I’ve been reading so much lately, but when I read these, they struck a chord with me, too:
- Factors in the appropriate selection and combination of communication mediums, such as paper, online, and multimedia
- Knowledge, skills, and sensitivities, needed by practicing tech commers in the 21st century and effectiveness of teaching these areas using classroom, on-site, and distance-learning methods
- How to meet the cognitive and affective needs of audiences with special requirements, such as children, older adults, and people with limited technical proficiency or language skills
During the last eight years of my life, I’ve worked within three areas: education (teacher) and literature (editor and author).
I’ve worked as a teacher (instructor, English specialist, lecturer, graduate teacher) of freshman composition, developmental writing, and mass communication courses, such as Introduction of Mass Communication, Writing for the Media, and Writing for Radio and Television.
I’ve worked (and currently work) as an editor. I edit mostly creative works – novels, short stories, creative non-fiction, poetry, and screenplays.
I’ve worked (and currently work) as an author. In the past, I’ve written (and have had published) commercial fiction. I have also contributed to the creation of three academic textbooks on freshman composition that are currently being used at the university I formerly worked for.
For fun…and to brand myself as someone who knows about writing, I run several blogs that feature writers and I have several online sites that run my articles on the craft of writing.
Expertise in Technical Communication
I’m sure I have more expertise than I think I do. Having said that, I don’t think I have much experience at all.